Monday, November 16, 2009

Anyone have advice on what meds to ask your doc for, for severe depression?

I am currently on Effexor and Xanax, and i dont feel they are working well. The Effexor makes me have night sweats, not a comfy feeling. The xanax works, but makes me tired. I just really think I need something else and I know everyone is different and everyone should discuss med options with there doc, but I dont even know whats out there for depression. What made me realize I went from mild depression to severe depression, is I have thoughts of wanting to be dead. Not suicide, just wishing something natural would happen, ie car accident, i think ya know what I mean. I have two kids and at least I still have the sense to know that they are worth living for, but I do believe I need some serious help. Oh and how do you get your husband to support it? He often throws my meds away, he dont believe in depression or psychiatric disorders. He thinks all I need is his love to get through this (his affair). His affair has damn near made me have a breakdown.

Anyone have advice on what meds to ask your doc for, for severe depression?
Hi sorry to hear about your severe depression. Xanax is a benzodiazepine and benzodiazepines with long term use are associated with depression and even suicide. See this medical paper http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashbzoc.htm and also read this http://www.benzo.org.uk


I think your husbands affair has caused you a lot of added stress. I think perhaps you and your husband talk out your problems and perhaps seeks marriage guidance counselling. Your husband needs to appologise and ask for your forgiveness for having an affair. I think that would go a long way to helping your mood.


I hope things improve for you.
Reply:I have been on Zoloft for a couple months. Every 2 weeks I go to the doc for follow up. I am now on 200 mg and i am feeling better but not great. Not myself quite yet. I still have some really bad days. My doc switched me to Effexor. I have to get it filled tomorrow. I have had depression all my life. I had a bf who cheated on me and got the other girl pregnant. After that my depression came on strong and became severe. I was on Wellbutrin and Paxil. This was 5 years ago. I gained about 20 lbs on those 2 meds. Honestly, I think the counseling I received is what really helped my depression. When I was on meds alone my depression didn't lift as much. I needed both. If you start gaining a lot of weight, I would tell your doctor. I worked out 5 times a week and couldn't lose weight on those meds. That's when I started researching herbal supliments on the internet. I found 5HTP; the precursor to serotonin. That herbal supliment saved my life. I buy it at Wal-mart. It's only like $8.00. I am going to start taking 5HTP again b/c ever since I stopped taking it my depression came back and is not going away quickly enough. I recommend you research 5HTP. You need to take it about 15 to 20 min before bed so it'll break the blood/ brain barrier. If you don't have an empty stomach your bady will use it elsewhere and your brain won't use it. I just used to take it at night at bedtime. I started at 50mg and ended up taking 200mg. You have to experiment b/c too little you won't feel it and too much, you may get too tired because serotonin turns into melotonin. It goes like this Triptophan ----%26gt; 5 Hydroxy Triptophan ----%26gt; Serotonin -----%26gt; Melotonin. Hope this helps you.

orchid cactus

No comments:

Post a Comment