Monday, November 16, 2009

Weaning off Paxil CR and symptoms to expect?

Hi there,


I'm 31 and have been taking Paxil CR 25 mg for just about a year now. I had anxiety disorder and don't want to be dependent on this pill any longer. I asked my doctor about weaning myself off and she told me to start taking half the dose of 12.5 mg per day for the next 30 days, and if there are no panick attacks within that period, to take 5 more 12.5 mg every second day and eventally be off of them completely. I'm into my 5th day now and I'm noticing some side affects and was wondering if these are normal and if they'll subside. I don't want to start worrying about them and therefore start panicking and then having to start from square one again. The symptoms I've noticed are 'zap-like' feelings in my head, feeling off centre because my vision is a bit off (not blurry, just stroblike somehow), sweating then really cold, very vivid dreams, and an increased appetite. Just wonering if this is normal.

Weaning off Paxil CR and symptoms to expect?
Yes, the side-effects you describe while being weaned off Paxil are somewhat within the normal range. The zap-like feelings and visual disturbances are fairly common, as are the vivid dreams.


I'd encourage you to journal about the side effects and stay in touch with your physician.





Monitoring the symptoms, and recording them will help you and your doctor in determining your prognosis for getting off the Paxil.





While Paxil is easily tolerated when a patient goes on the drug, getting off it is more difficult. The symptoms you have described are mild.





Great decision to get off the Paxil.


Bravo! Great job! Keep going!


You'll do great.
Reply:I was on Paxil too for almost a year, and I hated the side effects of getting off. I would sit on the couch and it felt like the whole world was spinning. Paxil was the worst for side effects when getting off of it. I wouldn't worry, I think what your haveing is perfectly normal. If you are female, I didn't notice, it is now known that Paxil when pregnant causes congenital heart defects. I would let your doctor know of your symptoms and that will make you feel better. But I think you will be ok, I felt l ike crap comeing off of it too. Good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment